Understanding the basics of workers’ compensation coverage.
If you’re a business owner, you need to do your research on securing the right insurance policies for your needs. From protecting your business’s building to your employees, and everything in between, insurance is there to help. An insurance coverage that is non-negotiable is workers’ compensation. The law requires employers to have workers’ compensation even if they have only one employee.
If an employee gets hurt on the job, the employer is required by law to pay for workers’ compensation benefits. Whether you are injured in a single event at work (such as falling on a wet floor to getting into a car accident while making deliveries) or repeated exposure to repetitive-motion injuries at work, the employer can be held responsible.
A workers’ compensation insurance policy is part of your cost of doing business, so no employee has to pay for the policy. As a business owner, you must post the notice to employees at work where everyone can see it. This notice details information about workers’ compensation coverage and where to find medical care for work injuries.
If your employees get sick or hurt on the job, you must:
- Provide a workers’ compensation claim for them within one working day after the work-related injury or illness is reported.
- Return a copy of the completed form to the employee within one business day of receipt.
- Forward the claim form and your report of occupational injury or illness to the claims administrator within one business day.
- Within one business day of receiving the employee’s claim, authorize appropriate medical treatment.
- Provide transitional work (light duty) whenever necessary.
- If the employee is the victim of a crime that happened at work, you must give notice of workers’ compensation eligibility within one working day of the crime.
If your business is just getting started, check out the basic insurance your company needs! For all of your insurance services in Fresno and neighboring cities in California, contact the professionals at McCarty Insurance Agency today!
Leave A Comment