The 4th of July holiday is the perfect time to spend with loved ones and enjoy the hot summer weather. While taking part in all the fun activities that are planned around this weekend, it is important to keep safety in mind. Following these 4th of July summer safety tips can help ensure that everyone has a fun and safe summer.
- Be a safe swimmer. The hot weather means lots of time spent by the pool or at a lake. Make sure to never swim alone, and that children are supervised at all times when around water. Anyone who is not comfortable with their swimming abilities should take extra precautions and make sure they use the proper safety equipment, such as a life jacket.
- Firework safety. Make sure to check with all local laws to make sure fireworks are permitted if you are planning on setting them off yourself. Never let children light fireworks, and make sure they keep a safe distance away from the launch site. Make sure to clear the launch area from any flammable debris, such as trash or vegetation.
- Use alcohol responsibly. Make sure to have a designated sober driver to get all partygoers safely home from any festivities. Keep in mind that consuming alcohol while swimming can be very dangerous. Never use fireworks while under the influence of alcohol.
- Use sunscreen. Make sure to reapply sunscreen every two hours while enjoying the summer sun. Use sunscreen that protects from both UVA and UVB rays and that has a minimum of 15 SPF to get the best protection.
- Protect yourself from pests. While hiking or camping, make sure to use a bug spray that contains DEET. Wear long sleeved shirts and long pants while outdoors, and make sure to check for ticks after getting back home.
Most importantly, contact McCarty Insurance in California to make sure you and your loved ones are covered in any situation with the most comprehensive insurance coverage.