The holiday season is almost here, which means you may be packing up your bags to visit loved ones far away. Along with making sure that you have enough clothes packed for your vacation, it is also important to make sure that your car is in top shape for the trip and that your home will stay safe while you are away. Keep these tips in mind to ensure that you have the safest holiday travel plans possible.
For a safe road trip:
- Check all the fluid levels in your vehicle, including the window washing fluid. Add more fluid wherever it is needed to ensure that your car is running properly.
- Leave extra time to get to your destination. There will be many other holiday travelers on the road, which can slow down your travels. Make sure to account for traffic so that you do not have to drive while you are tired or in the dark.
- Stop and switch drivers as often as necessary. Long trips can cause you to get drowsy behind the wheel. Stopping to stretch your legs will help keep your energy up.
To keep your home safe:
- Make it look like someone is home by leaving a car in your driveway and installing timers on a few lights throughout your home so it will not stay dark while you are away.
- Put a hold on your mail through the post office or ask a trusted neighbor to pick it up for you. Nothing says “empty house” like an overflowing mailbox.
- Double check all of your doors and windows, even the ones on the second story, right before you leave to make sure that they are locked.
Having the right auto and homeowners insurance policy is the best way to protect your car and home this holiday season. For all of your Northern California homeowners and auto insurance needs, contact McCarty Insurance Agency in Fresno.