While most teens look forward to getting their license their whole lives, it can be a scary time for parents. While most parents would feel safer always sitting in the passenger seat, it is not possible. Making sure teens know how to stay safe while behind the wheel can help ease the minds of parents while their children are out on the road. Following these tips can help ensure that everyone is safe while driving.
- Keep off the phone. Using a cell phone while driving is equivalent of driving drunk. Besides being dangerous, many states also have laws against using cell phones while driving.
- Do not text. Texting causes a loss of focus on the road for an average of five seconds. While that may not seem like a long time, it is enough time for a lot to go wrong on the road. Many states have laws that prohibit texting while driving as well.
- Turn on headlights. Even during the day, headlights can help other vehicles see you on the road.
- Obey the speed limit. Almost 40 percent of all fatal teen accidents are caused from speeding. Do not feel pressured to keep up with the flow of traffic if you do not feel comfortable doing so. Following the speed limit can also help prevent costly speeding tickets that can increase your insurance premiums.
- Minimize distractions. Make sure to preset radio stations to avoid having to scan to find the perfect song. Do not eat, drink, or play music too loud to ensure that you focus on the road.
- Drive solo. Having just one teen passenger in the car can double the risk of causing an accident. The more teen passengers in the vehicle, the larger the risk.
- Practice defensive driving. Always be aware of what is going on next to you, behind you, and have possible escape routes in mind. Always stay at least one car length behind the car in front of you.
Having the proper auto insurance is the best way to protect your teen driver in case of an accident. Contact the insurance professionals at McCarty Insurance in Fresno, California to make sure your teen has the most comprehensive auto insurance policy. Our rates for Families- With – Teen – Drivers will help you give you peace of mind as well.