Use these safe driving tips if you are headed up to the snow this season.
Heading up to the mountains is one of the best ways to take advantage of the winter weather. No matter if you are planning a skiing trip or simply going to enjoy the beauty of the snow, it is vital to ensure that you safely make it up the mountain. Keep these safe mountain driving tips to help you stay safe on the way to your vacation.
- Check your maintenance log – if it has been a while since you have taken your car into your mechanic, it may be time to do so. They will check your windshield wipers, brakes, heater, defroster, and exhaust system to ensure that they are working properly.
- Use low gears – both when you are going up and going down the mountain, stick to gears 1 through 3. Low gears will give you the extra power you need to make it up a steep incline while also helping you stay at a safe speed while going down.
- Stay to the side – especially if you are driving next to a steep cliff, it can be easy to want to hug the center line of the road. However, this can also be very dangerous for both you and other drivers on the road.
- Give the right car the right of way – vehicles that are going uphill always have the right of way. When headed down the mountain, make sure that you are always ready to pull over to let a vehicle pass if needed.
- Take breaks – navigating curvy mountain roads can be much more tiring than driving on city street. Take breaks as often as you need to, as long as there is a safe place to pull over.
Before you head up the mountain, take the time to look over your auto insurance policy to ensure that you have the right amount of coverage. Contact McCarty Insurance Agency in Fresno, California for all of your car insurance needs.