Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and while you are searching for your secret family recipe, it is a good time to make sure that you know how to stay safe while in the kitchen. Keep these Thanksgiving safety tips in mind to ensure that everyone has a fun holiday.
- Before you start cooking, clean your oven and stove. Built up grease from past dinners can easily start a fire while you are cooking.
- Do not leave your house. If you are cooking something on the stove, make sure to stay in the kitchen so that you can keep an eye on the food.
- Create a “no kids zone” in the kitchen that is at least three feet away from the stove and oven. Boiling water or splattering grease can easily burn small children.
- Keep your pets out of the kitchen while you are cooking so that you do not trip over them while cooking. Try to keep the entire kitchen floor free of any obstacles, including toys and bags.
- Keep any flammable objects, such as potholders, towels, food packaging, and bags away from the stove to help prevent a fire.
- Check all of the smoke alarms throughout your home before you start cooking to ensure that they are working properly. Replace any alarms that are not working properly or that are outdated.
- Keep a fire extinguisher that is rated for grease fires in your kitchen while you are cooking. Make sure there are multiple people in the house who know how to use it.
- Before you go to bed at the end of the night, double check to make sure that all of your appliances are turned off.
McCarty Insurance Agency in Fresno, California would like to wish you and your family a safe and happy Thanksgiving!