Stay strong and steady when driving in high winds and heavy rain.
With the winter comes adverse weather. This includes everything from rain, storms, and high winds. As motorists, these conditions make it extremely difficult to drive in. So that you’re prepared for the rainy and windy weather ahead, read on for essential safety driving tips!
- Before you go, check that your windscreen wipers are fully functional.
- Use low headlights, even during the day, so that other drivers can see you more easily.
- Don’t use rear fog lights. They can mask your brake lights and dazzle drivers behind you.
- Reduce your speed and leave more space between you and the vehicle in front of you.
- Look out for large and fast moving vehicles creating spray, which reduces visibility.
- Listen out for local news bulletins to keep you up to date with road closures, flooding, and forecasts.
- Plan your journey – is there an alternative route that is less exposed? Choose a sheltered route if you have the option.
- Drive slowly enough to steer through the gusts of wind.
- Take care when next to tall vehicles. High-sided trucks often have difficulty staying in their own lane when the winds are high.
- Give cyclists, motorcyclists, lorries, and buses more room than usual.
- Keep extra distance between you and the car in front.
- Park your car in a safe place, away from trees but near buildings.
- Be wary of debris in the middle of the road.
Safe driving helps you to stay safe on the roads. For everything else, there’s car insurance. Contact McCarthy Insurance Service for your quality auto insurance in Fresno and neighboring cities in California!