Take care of these home maintenance tasks during daylight saving time.
Did you turn your clocks back last night? Daylight saving ended last night at 2 a.m., which means it is time to turn you clocks back an hour and start enjoying what feels like an extra hour of sleep. When turning your clocks back this year, take care of these twice yearly maintenance tasks to ensure that your home is ready for the season.
- Replace all the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. Replacing the batteries during daylight saving will give you a reference point of how old the batteries are to ensure that they will keep your family protected all year long.
- If you have any burnt out light bulbs that have been keeping a corner of your house dark for weeks, now is the best time to swap it out with a new bulb. Choosing energy efficient bulbs will also help to lower your energy bill throughout the year.
- Change out your furnace filters. Clean filters will help to keep your furnace running its best, reducing the need for extra maintenance. A clean filter will also help to keep your home warm and cozy through the cold seasons.
- Clean out the lint in your dryer, including in the hoses. Clean lint traps and hoses will dramatically reduce the chances of a house fire.
- Go through your emergency kit and replace any outdated food or supplies with new items. Also, make sure that all of your emergency contact numbers are correct and updated.
- Switch the direction of your ceiling fan to help push the warm air down into the living area of your house to help make each room in your home a little more comfortable.
While taking care of all of the above tasks, take a look at your homeowners insurance policy to make sure that you have the right amount of protection for the season. Contact McCarty Insurance Agency in Fresno, California for all of your home insurance needs.